As you can see from my new blog header, I’ve been feeling a little “steampunky” lately. It all started with this piece whose overall dimensions are 6” x 3 1/2”.
The base of this piece is made from paper clay I stamped with a collage of clocks rubber stamp. Click here to see the tutorial on “How to Stamp Paper Clay”.
After drying and trimming, I rusted the base (yes it’s real rust not a paint treatment). For those of you who have been following me for a while you know that I have been promising a tutorial on this process. Well, the tutorial finally finished. Once I finish the posts for the rest of the month (monthly drawing, more circus and carnival art, etc.) I’ll post the tutorial.
Since I knew I was going to use this for a steampunk piece, I decided to make it look a little more metallic by adding Antique Gold Rub and Buff.
Finally it was time to junk it up. I added lots of clocks, watch pieces, gears, metal jewelry findings, paper images and chains. I'm happy with the end result but it's kind of a shame that so much of the background is covered up. I guess that's just the way it goes, you can't have everything.